Today is an Important Day, The McRib is Back!
Today marks the first day since 1994 that McDonald’s legendary McRib sandwich will officially be available U.S.-wide. In honor of this important moment in fast food history here are some ground bits of info about this mysterious rib-shaped sandwich:
- Stay-up-to-date on the McRib by following the #mcrib Twitter hashtag
- See where the nearest McRib was available before today with the McRib Locator
- Watch video of a McRib-induced riot at Penn State
- The McRib Jr. was available for a short time in the late ‘90s which replaced the sesame seed roll with a standard hamburger bun and was served with a smaller portion of the pork patty
- In 1994, there was a McRib tie-in with the theatrical release of The Flintstones, comparing it to the rack of ribs that topples the Flintmobile in the show intro
- The McRib is not made of ribs, but composed of boneless meat molded to resemble ribs (yum!)
- The Wall Street Journal reported in 2001 that the pork industry receives a boost when the McRib returns
Update: McDonald’s has launched The Legend of McRib website which invites McRib fans to share their love for the sandwich with the world through stories and tall tales. ‘The legends don’t have to be true. They don’t have to even be possible. They just have to be bigger than life and worthy of The Legends of McRib.’ The winner gets a trip to the only country that sells McRibs year round: Germany. Vunderbar!
via The Awl