Moviefone sat down with most of the good folks over here at the Alamo Drafthouse to get tips and tricks for Christmas movies and parties. Some of the most exciting stuff comes from Executive Chef John Bullington, who among other things offers up a recipe for butterbeer, as seen in the Harry Potter films:
Gallon Apple Cider
1 cup Brown Sugar
¼ cup Heavy Cream
Tsp Kosher Salt
¼ lb Butter
2 each Cinnamon Sticks
1 each Nutmeg, Whole
TBS Allspice Berries
1. In a large pot combine the cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg with the apple cider
2. Heat to a simmer and let it simmer for 20 minutes
3. While waiting for the cider to simmer, heat the butter and brown sugar together in a smaller pot
4. When the butter/sugar mix becomes fluid-like, losing its graininess add the cream and salt until well
5. Strain the spices from the hot cider and whip the butterscotch into the hot cider.
6. Fill a glass half way with hot, not hotter than 160F (so as not to burn off the alcohol) butterbeer and fill it the rest of the way with alcoholic sparkling apple cider for the adults or non alcoholic for the kids, top with whipped cream
Click over for Lars and Zack giving their choices for off-kilter Christmas movies, Tim’s guide to holiday beers and Henri’s guide to Quote-a-Longs and Sing-a-Longs at home!
And expect to see more of this right here at BAD; after BNAT we had a very big meeting about entering phase 2 of the site. Now that we’ve begun to establish our presence we have some exciting plans for the new year. Can’t wait to put the next coat of paint on this sucker!