In a couple of hours I will be running some kind of a set visit report about Sucker Punch, Zack Snyder’s frankly insane looking new film. As I was transcribing the interviews - conducted about a year ago, when Badass Digest was just a hope in my heart - I realized how much time I spent on set trying to get to the heart of the fact that this movie isn’t just a crazy fantasy science fiction martial arts war film female empowerment movie, it’s a fucking musical.
Folks on set were circumspect about this aspect, and nobody would divulge what the songs in the movie were (they were still trying to secure them legally), but this is a film that has song and dance numbers.
As is always the case the stuff I was trying to ferret out on set (but would be embargoed from running anyway) ended up getting officially announced anyway. Just days before my embargo lifts, HitFix has the details on the soundtrack and which songs are sung by which actress.
The movie is set in 1967, but the soundtrack is all over the place. In fact most of the tracks were written well after the setting of the movie. I can already hear heads exploding as literalists try to figure this one out. It’s an anachronism! they cry as their craniums swell and pop.
Here’s the list:
1. “Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)” - Emily Browning
2. “Army Of Me (Sucker Punch Remix)” - Björk featuring Skunk Anansie
3. “White Rabbit” - Emiliana Torrini
4. “I Want It All”/“We Will Rock You” Mash-Up - Queen with Armageddon Aka Geddy
5. “Search And Destroy” - Skunk Anansie
6. “Tomorrow Never Knows” - Alison Mosshart and Carla Azar
7. “Where Is My Mind?” - Yoav featuring Emily Browning
8. “Asleep” - Emily Browning
9. “Love Is The Drug” - Carla Gugino and Oscar Isaac