Last week news hit that Paramount had recovered the full rights to Friday the 13th from Warner Bros, and that they have five years to get a movie made. I'll tell you this - you don't need that much time to get a Jason Voorhees hack n' slash together. The question we all had was whether or not the new Paramount Friday would pick up from the Platinum Dunes reboot or would reboot again. And now we may have the answer.
Talking to Bloody Disgusting at the premiere of Hatchet III Derek Mears - who played Jason in the reboot and, is in my mind, one of the best Jasons in the series - said that Paramount is working with Platinum Dunes to make the new film, which means it'll be a Friday the 13th, Part 2 kind of situation.
“I spoke to [Platinum Dunes'] Brad Fuller and he said that the rights are, as everyone knows, over at Paramount and they’re pushing hard. They’re going [to] want [a new Friday The 13th movie] as fast as possible," Mears said. He also said that Platinum Dunes likes him and would like him back, but it's unclear if that'll happen.
"Look, even if I’m not a part of the series, as a fan I just want to see more," the gentlest Jason said.
I really liked the reboot. It's not a great movie, but as a fan of the entire series who harbors no illusions about the quality of most of the films, Friday the 13th 2009 is one of the better iterations. It adds enough to the mythology while respecting it, and like I said I think Mears is one of the best Jasons. It has okay kills, and I would love to see the quality of the kills amped in Part 2, but I'm not upset to see the franchise continue in these hands.