2016 was a terrific year for cinema. So terrific, in fact, that the Academy Awards failed to honour even a fraction of the greatness that came out of Hollywood and elsewhere. So we at BMD took it upon ourselves to create awards for the films Oscar forgot. If you haven’t been keeping up, we’ve been running polls each week for different award categories over the past month, leading up to the most recent Best Picture vote. The only rule: films nominated for an actual Oscar couldn't be nominated in that category. We, the staff, picked the nominees; you, the readers, picked the winners (sometimes with neck-and-neck margins). It’s a combination of personal BMD staff taste and raw Internet democracy that we love.
So here, ladies and gentlemen, are your winners for the 2016 Birth.Movies.Death. Alternate Oscars, each taking home a little gold statue of Jai Courtney:
- Alternate Best Picture: Swiss Army Man
- Alternate Best Director: Robert Eggers, The Witch
- Alternate Best Original Screenplay: The Nice Guys, Shane Black & Anthony Bagarozzi
- Alternate Best Adapted Screenplay: Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Taika Waititi
- Alternate Best Actress: Anya Taylor-Joy, The Witch
- Alternate Best Actor: Trevante Rhodes, Ashton Sanders, & Alex Hibbert, Moonlight
- Alternate Best Supporting Actress: Angourie Rice, The Nice Guys
- Alternate Best Supporting Actor: John Goodman, 10 Cloverfield Lane
- Alternate Best Foreign Language Feature: The Handmaiden
- Alternate Best Documentary Feature: Weiner
- Alternate Best Animated Feature: Sausage Party
- Alternate Best Editing: High-Rise, Amy Jump & Ben Wheatley
- Alternate Best Cinematography: The Neon Demon, Natasha Braier
- Alternate Best Score: Swiss Army Man, Andy Hull & Robert McDowell
- Alternate Best Song: “I’m So Humble,” performed by The Lonely Island, from Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
- Alternate Best Production Design: The Witch, Craig Lathrop
- Alternate Best Costume Design: Hail Caesar, Mary Zophres
- Alternate Best Makeup & Hair: The Neon Demon, Erin Ayanian & Shandra Page
- Alternate Best Sound: Green Room
- Alternate Best Visual Effects: Arrival
For those keeping score, that’s three for The Witch, two for The Neon Demon, The Nice Guys, and Swiss Army Man, and one for every other winner. We like that spread! Sweeps are so boring.
A massive congratulations to those films and individuals, and to you, for voting. We had a lot of fun putting together the nominations and we hope you had fun picking your favourites. Do the winners reflect your tastes? Did the voters vote wrong? Can you not believe that Silence got snubbed again? Should we make this an annual thing? Sound off below.