Last week, Disney marked down release dates for three new untitled Star Wars films. Today, we have a little more information on the first of those films.
At the MoffetNathanson Media & Communications summit, Bob Iger confirmed that the first Star Wars film after the sequel trilogy will be from David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the creators of Game of Thrones. From Iger: “We did a deal with David Benioff and D.B Weiss, who are famous for Game of Thrones, and the next movie that we release will be theirs. And we’re not saying anything more about that.”
So here’s all we know for now: the Star Wars film being released in 2022 will be creatively lead by Benioff and Weiss. Even though it has previously been reported that the duo were working on a series of films, Iger did not confirm if this 2022 film will be part of a series or a trilogy. And what this announcement says about Rian Johnson’s Star Wars trilogy is anyone’s guess.
How do you feel about a Benioff and Weiss Star Wars? I’m guessing the hype for any new projects by these two will be somewhat tempered because of the controversial final season Game of Thrones has been having. Personally, I’d much rather have more of Rian Johnson’s take on this universe, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious about what Benioff and Weiss can do while constrained under PG-13 guidelines. (Benioff’s solo track record says: Troy and X-Men Origins: Wolverine).
David Benioff and D.B. Weiss’s untitled Star Wars film is set to come out on December 16, 2022.