While Avengers: Endgame tries to prolong its theatrical lifetime with a extended edition re-release and dubious narrative connections to Spider-Man: Far From Home, the record-smashing hit film still cannot overcome the ultimate sign of box office death: the home video rollout. And so it goes.
In just over a month from now on July 30th, you’ll be able to watch Endgame at home digitally in HD and 4K Ultra HD™. But if you’re anything like me and you don’t trust all these finnicky digital video services, you’ll probably want to wait until August 13th, when the physical edition comes out on Blu-Ray, 4K, and DVD.
“What about the bonus material?” all you dutiful collectors are probably asking right now. Well, take a gander:
- Steve and Peggy: One Last Dance – Explore Captain America and Peggy Carter’s bond, forged in moments from previous films that lead to a momentous choice in “Avengers: Endgame.”
Blu-ray & Digital:
- Remembering Stan Lee – Filmmakers and cast honor the great Stan Lee in a fond look back at his MCU movie cameos.
- Setting The Tone: Casting Robert Downey Jr. – Hear the tale of how Robert Downey Jr. was cast as Tony Stark in the original “Iron Man” — and launched the MCU.
- A Man Out of Time: Creating Captain America – Trace the evolution of Captain America with those who helped shape the look, feel and character of this compelling hero.
- Black Widow: Whatever It Takes – Follow Black Widow's journey both within and outside the Avengers, including the challenges she faced and overcame along the way.
- The Russo Brothers: Journey to Endgame – See how Anthony and Joe Russo met the challenge of helming two of the biggest films in cinematic history ... back-to-back!
- The Women of the MCU – MCU women share what it was like to join forces for the first time in an epic battle scene — and be part of such a historic ensemble.
- Bro Thor – His appearance has changed but his heroism remains! Go behind the scenes to see how Bro Thor was created.
- Six Deleted Scenes – “Goji Berries,” “Bombs on Board,” “Suckiest Army in the Galaxy,” “You Used to Frickin’ Live Here,” “Tony and Howard” and “Avengers Take a Knee.”
- Gag Reel – Laugh along with the cast in this epic collection of flubs, goofs and gaffes from set.
- Visionary Intro - Intro by directors Joe and Anthony Russo.
- Audio Commentary - Audio commentary by directors Anthony and Joe Russo, and writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.
In other words, pretty standard bonus fare, albeit with a stunning (though expected from Disney) lack of making-of material for such a gigantic film. With regards to the deleted scenes, I can’t really say which ones will be exclusive to the home release and which ones will be part of the extended version come out in theaters this weekend. I guess you could take out a second mortgage to see all versions and find out for yourself.
Avengers: Endgame comes out on digital home video on July 30th and physical home video on August 13th.